Friday, May 21, 2010

Bring it on...

It is Friday night, the M's won big but the Sharks lost in over time, one for two, not bad. Last night was a long one for Holly and I. We were both a little nervous about the new treatment that started today. I was up half the night with my acid reflux and Holly had a nervous night sleep. Today rolled around and Holly scrambled at work to get ready for this afternoon. We got to the infusion center and had a little problem with her port, it seems it scabbed over a bit at the end of the catheter so the nurse had to put a drug in the port to dissolve the blockage. After a bit of a delay and a goofy doctor filling in for our regular doc, who is in Australia visiting the in laws, Holly got plugged in. The gave her the pre-chemotherapy drugs and let them absorb for about 30 minutes. Once the drugs were absorbed the Taxol was hung and started. They let the Taxol run for about 15 minutes, checked Holly's vitals and any signs of an allergic reaction. Holly tolerated the initial infusion well so they turned the tap back on and got down to business.

We are now sitting here at 10:45pm watching the Deadliest Catch and Holly seems to be doing well. The nurses told us she would feel really tired for a few days, which seems to be the case. Hopefully she will be well enough for work on Monday, we will just have to wait and see.

We are both a bit tired but feeling very relieved to have this first treatment behind us. Thanks for tuning in to the blog, we will let you know how the weekend goes.

John

2 comments:

  1. Thanks allot for the update, I was thinking about you guys today and wondering how it went. I hope Holly doesn't feel too terrible the next few days. I can't imagine being in your guy's shoes. You are both very brave and I bet you will be glad as hell to get this over with! :) Once again thanks to John for letting us know what it going on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost real time. Sounds like this round may not be as tough. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete