Tuesday, March 2, 2010

We have a plan!

Okay, the original title was going to be "Appointments effing appointments" but I figured you all would be more interested in the plan, than our long, long, long, long.... well you get the idea, day. We woke up this morning, birds chirping, sun shining and a full schedule of 3 appointments today. Before our first appointment we got a call from the surgeon, who consulted with the oncologist and to recommend chemotherapy prior to surgery. As a result we squeezed in a pre surgical consultation appointment and a scheduling meeting which brought our appointment schedule to five.

Enough complaining and more information on the plan. The plan is this:
1) Surgical procedure to install a port, which will be used to administer drugs; no track marks for my girl!
2) EKG needed prior to chemotherapy.
3) Four chemotherapy treatments consisting of a 2 drug cocktail, administered in a 4 hour session every 2 weeks, for a total of 8 weeks. This is scheduled to March 12,
2a) Hair shaving party since Holly WILL lose her hair,
4) Twelve Taxol treatments administered once a week for 12 weeks,
5) Recover from 3 and 4 above, for a couple of weeks
6) Surgery
7) Possible radiation treatment depending on type of surgery and surgical findings

And I thought 5 appointments in one day was bad! I think reality hit us hard when we scheduled this stuff but we are trying to get ready to kick this P.O.S. tumor in the butt!

4 comments:

  1. OMG! WTF? [Sorry for my language] I never really knew what all was involved with this.You hear 'chemotherapy' and 'radiation', but this sucks!So I have a couple of questions, but I guess it maybe better to just call or text you.I just want to say thanks to John for being such a good supportive loyal husband [hard to find] and hope you are ok too John!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plan sounds like spring training is still part of the plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing your plan of action, I have heard all these words before, but never wanted to hear them coming from you guys. I am so sorry and I am praying for this journey. Holly is one of the strongest women I know. I just wanted to say an implantable port is the best move. Make sure it is a power port. That allows CT test contrast to be given through the port and Holly will not need different IVs. I wish the best of luck and just remember all the feelings and emotions you experience are real, true, and important. And it is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the thoughts and advice Christine, Holly actually got a power port implanted.

    ReplyDelete