Well, we met with the surgeon and now have two more test scheduled, a PET scan on Thursday and a Bone Scan on Friday. We got a lot of information which was all documented in a nice white binder with a pink breast cancer ribbon on the front and are in the process of digesting everything. What we do know right now is that we don't have enough information to make an informed decision on the exact course of action surgically. The surgeon will be consulting with the oncologist and come up with a recommendation soon. The three scenarios are:
1) Surgery now followed by chemotherapy and radiation.
2) Wait for genetic testing then decide on surgery option based on testing followed by chemotherapy.
3) Chemotherapy to shrink the tumor, genetic testing, decide on surgery option then do surgery.
I may not have these quite right, the doctor recorded our conversation be we forgot the CD at the office. I will correct the above options when I listen to the tape again.
Bottom line, not sure when surgery is going to happen, don't want to wait any longer than necessary but there is not reason to proceed until we have all the data we can get. We will make an informed decistion when we have all the facts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow! Sounds very confusing. That's great that he recorded the conversation for you guys! Too many Dr's appts! Sounds like more waiting and too much time for thinking! :) Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteThat is way cool that you got to record the coversation. I would never be able to remember that much critical information. It's good you are getting some answers though, I am thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! I love that you are reading this blog. It's great!
ReplyDeleteHolly
Glad part of the testing is over. You both are wise getting all the information and digesting everything before making a decision. We keep lighting those candles Holly. Just keep the faith.
ReplyDeleteSo what is a PET Scan? If it's too personal you can just text me! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.petscaninfo.com/zportal/portals/pat/
ReplyDeleteTry this link